Eric (Rick) S. Rein
Jesus M. Suarez
Melanie L. CyganowskiOtterbourg PC | New York, NY
Former Chief Bankruptcy Judge Melanie L. Cyganowski joined Otterbourg P.C. as a partner in 2008, after serving a full 14-year term as a Bankruptcy Judge in the Eastern District of New York. From November 29, 2005 through the end of her term, she was the Court’s Chief Judge. After graduating magna cum laude from the School of Law at the State University of New York at Buffalo, Melanie served as a law clerk to the late Hon. Charles L. Brieant, former Chief Judge in the Southern District of New York. Following her clerkship, Melanie was a litigator at Sullivan & Cromwell, and Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy.
Melanie presently chairs Otterbourg’s Bankruptcy practice. She was recently appointed Receiver in SEC v. Platinum Partners, an alleged billion dollar fraud. She has also represented Official Committees of Unsecured Creditors in bankruptcy cases, including Escada and Quirky. Her other fiduciary appointments include (a) Chief Restructuring Officer and Temporary Operator of Brooklyn’s Interfaith Medical Center, a 287 bed acute care teaching hospital with ambulatory and out-patients clinics in the surrounding Bed-Stuy neighborhood, and (b) Patient Care Ombudsman in Orianna Health Systems, 21st Century Oncology and California Proton. Melanie has also represented the FDIC as Receiver in various bankruptcy cases; has served as the Auditor in connection with a consent judgment in a national matter; and is an arbitrator/mediator in numerous disputes, including Madoff, Lehman, Quebecor and Metaldyne. Last fall she mediated a dispute involving 19 State Attorney Generals and the Chapter 7 Trustee in ITT involving the issue of retention of student records.
In 2014, Melanie was inducted as a Fellow into the American College of Bankruptcy. An author of numerous articles, she sits on the Editorial Advisory Board of the Norton Journal of Bankruptcy Practice & Law. Melanie is also a Fellow of the American and New York State Bar Foundations, and an adjunct professor of law at St. John’s University School of Law.
Michael I. Goldberg
2020 Offshore International Conference
Wednesday, March 4
- 5:30pm - 7:30pm
- Welcome Reception
Thursday, March 5
- 8:50am - 9:50am
- What’s New for Receivers Around the World?
- This panel will be comprised of an exciting group of professionals both foreign and domestic. They will focus on new developments in statutory and case-law that impacts US receivers as they deal with actions and assets abroad. It’s an hour-long session designed to communicate the most important new developments in the field around the world! Brexit, China, and much, much more….
Speakers:Eric (Rick) S. Rein, Jonathan Perlman (Producer), Michael I. Goldberg, Sophia Rolle-Kapousouzoglou
- 10:00am - 11:10am
- Prognosticating the Next Wave of International Insolvency
- Our 10 AM panel will be an exciting view into what this forward-thinking group of experts sees as the differences receivers will encounter when dealing with international issues during the next recession as opposed to 2008. The world has changed, crypto currency wasn’t an issue and the connections between insolvency professionals were much less developed. NAFER didn’t even exist!
Speakers:Chip Hoebeke, David Blenkarn, Jesus M. Suarez, Robert Mosier (Producer)
- 11:30am - 12:30pm
- Business Approach to Recovering Assets in an Illiquid Estate
- Many cases begin with a lot of promise but little liquidity in an estate. This session will be led by experts who have successfully navigated the decision-making difficulties of how to proceed in an illiquid estate. They will discuss prudently making decisions, in what order to proceed, and how to move forward with necessary actions without cash.
Speakers:Geoff Varga, John Royle, Melanie L. Cyganowski, William Kowalski
- 12:30pm - 1:30pm
- Networking Lunch
- 1:30pm - 4:30pm
- Extended Case Study
- Our three-part interactive case simulation will be a hands-on deep delve into a complicated, multi- jurisdictional insolvency. Participants will not only gain a deeper understanding of the US receiver's role in these proceedings, but will also develop a deeper understanding and appreciation for the other parties to these matters. Come prepared to be creative and to argue your case!